Situated at the bottom of Loch Dunvegan, Dunvegan is easily accessible via the A863 and the A850.
Arriving at Kylerhea or Mallaig by ferry, or via the Skye Bridge, follow the A850 to Broadford.
Once at Broadford simply follow the road to Sligachan, then the A863 which will take you all the way to Dunvegan.
The pretty village of Dunvegan lies on the east side of the head of Loch Dunvegan, which bites deeply into the Isle of Skye from the north west, turning the area known as Duirinish into a peninsula. Today it is the largest village on Skye that doesn't stand on the island's east coast.
Today's Dunvegan serves as a focal point for north west Skye, offering village shops as well as a choice of hotels, guest houses, B&B: plus a beautifully located campsite at the head of Loch Dunvegan and a Tourist Information Centre. On the village main street is the Giant Angus MacAskill Museum, dedicated to the tallest Scotsman who ever lived.
The origin of the name Dunvegan is the source of healthy debate. The first element Dun is a common feature in many names that come from Scottish Gaelic and means fort or castle. The source of the second half of the name, vegan, is less clear. Some have suggested it comes from the Gaelic beagain meaning "few in number" or "small in size". Others believe it comes from the name of a Norse chieftan, Began. On the whole, "Began's fort" seems the simplest and therefore the most likely explanation. The name was written down as "Dunbegane" in 1498; as "Dunveggane" in 1517; and as "Dunnevegane" in 1553.